counter on blogger
Thursday, October 6, 2011
New Products from Applegate Farms
I was thrilled to be sent a free sample package of not one but SIX new gluten-free products from my friends at Applegate Farms. This was the bonanza of gluten-free samples especially since it wasn't carbs. It is rare that I sample actual new protein-based items, so I gladly accepted this package of treats.

For those of you unfamiliar with Applegate Farms, they produce "antibiotic free products made from minimally processed natural and organic whole muscle meat." They also have a really firm understanding of the gluten-free dietary needs and they clearly address this on their website. Applegate Farms "meat products do not contain any fillers. Therefore, all Applegate Farms products are gluten-free, with the exception of those made with traditional breading and/or pastry, such as our chicken nuggets, strips and patties, and our pot pie." But fear not! Applegate Farms also produces gluten-free breaded products including one of my favorites, Natural Gluten-Free Chicken Nuggets.

In my sample box of new products from Applegate Farms, I had:
  • Natural Gluten-Free Chicken Breast Tenders
  • Natural Grilled Chicken Breast Strips
  • Natural Southwestern-Style Grilled Chicken Breast Strips
  • Natural Wheat-Free Beef Corn Dogs
  • Organic Uncured Thick Cut Bacon
  • Natural Barbecue Chicken Breast

I was most excited about the Natural Wheat-Free Beef Corn Dogs, although I was confused why they were labeled "wheat-free" and not "gluten-free". After reviewing the website where another customer asked the same question, I learned "[The Natural Wheat-Free Beef Corn Dogs] are indeed Gluten Free corn dogs, but please know we are limited as to what we can put on packaging by not only USDA & FDA, but also sometimes per retailer." Since these are currently only sold at Whole Foods, it appears they have a restricted label. Believe it or not, as a lifelong Celiac this is one of those foods that I never ate IN MY LIFE. Yep, that's right. It took me 33 years to actually eat my very first corn dog. These Corn Dogs did not disappointed. I liked the sweetness of the corn batter even if it was a little bit crumbly. I was already a fan of the Applegate Farms hot dogs, so it was a nice treat to have that as part of my dinner. I would definitely buy these corn dogs again. They were good!

I was also a big fan of the Organic Uncured Thick Cut Bacon. I mean who doesn't love bacon, especially when it is thick and cooked up really crispy. Although a little bit saltier than I normally like in my bacon, I still loved this bacon and it was definitely some great eats for a Sunday morning!

My final fave was the Natural Grilled Chicken Breast Strips. Another naturally gluten-free meat product from Applegate Farms, I really enjoyed the light seasoning on these strips. The size of the strips easily lends itself to being tossed on top of a salad or using in a quick stir-fry meal. Although I usually like to cook chicken breast and season it myself, this is a nice option for people who really want a quick and easy meal.

Unfortunately, my least favorite item were the Natural Gluten Free Chicken Breast Tenders. As I said, I love the Applegate Farms gluten-free chicken nuggets so I had high hopes for these gluten-free, breaded tenders. Unfortunately, I felt the flavor fell a little bit flat. I also got a tender that had some chewy tendon in in. I know that is the nature of chicken, but it wasn't that great. I will continue to eat the Natural Gluten-Free Chicken Nuggets but probably wouldn't buy these tenders again.

Thank you Applegate Farms for such a delicious treat. My freezer is well-stocked with your gluten-free, all-natural products!

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

©2007-2018 Gluten-Free Fun
footer