counter on blogger
Saturday, March 7, 2009
Restaurant Spotlight: Panne Rizo
Panne Rizo

Panne Rizo Bakery Cafe
http://www.pannerizo.com/
1939 Cornwall Ave
Vancouver, BC V6J

Last September, I took a wonderful trip to Vancouver, BC. I had never been in the Pacific Northwest before so I traveled out to Seattle and Vancouver before I started my new job. Seattle was nice, but I LOVED Vancouver. It was honestly one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. The juxtaposition of the mountains, water, and city made for some really gorgeous scenery. I went hiking, biking, and shopping. I also managed to seek out at least two gluten-free venues while I was there. There was one bakery in Northern Vancouver that was non-existent, I probably should have called ahead. On my last day in Vancouver, I wanted to go to Kits Beach and I knew there was a gluten-free cafe in that neighborhood.

From before I even walked into Panne Rizo, I was impressed. Right in their front window was a sign for a monthly Celiac meeting hosted by the restaurant.

Vancouver Celiac Meet-Ups held here

I knew I was in a "safe" place when the next thing I noticed when I went inside was the Gluten-Free Premises sign.

Gluten-Free Premises!

This place definitely was a place I could dine without worry. Their menu is small but enticing. All of the items on their menu are 100% gluten-free. On the menu that day was chicken pot pie, macaroni and cheese, grilled paninis, soup, and sandwiches made on their rice bread.

Gluten-Free Menu

I chose the goat cheese with pesto and pine nuts sandwich. The goat cheese was creamy and the rice bread was toasted, an almost must for gluten-free breads. I thought the bread was typical gluten-free bread in terms of a slightly crumbly texture, but the flavor was nice. The goat cheese actually held the open-faced sandwich together pretty well and the pesto added a nice flavor to the whole sandwich.

Rice bread with goat cheese, pesto, and pine nuts

In addition to the lunch menu, Panne Rizo also has a wall full of gluten-free products including cookies, breads, and locally produced gluten-free flours and mixes from the Sweet Rice Baking Company.

Gluten-free flourGluten-Free BreadGluten-free goodiesPanne Rizo gluten-free baked goods

Since I was leaving Vancouver to drive back to Seattle to catch my flight, I thought I would get some goodies for the road. I picked up two gluten-free carrot muffins. I am a sucker for sweet cream cheese frosting, so this was a good choice. It was just the right amount of sweet nice with nice bits of carrot throughout the muffin.

Gluten-free Carrot Muffin

If you are headed to Vancouver any time soon, I highly recommend stopping here to pick up lunch before hit Kits Beach which is only two blocks away. Kits Beach was empty the day I went, but it has one of the most beautiful views of the city and mountains while sitting on the beach!

It doesn't get better than this

Labels: , , , ,



3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my gosh you are so lucky to have resources like you do over there! In the town I live in in New zealand there is only one coffee shop claiming gluten free status and they aren't nice LOL. Gluten free foods sold in cafes are displayed next to non gluten free and sometimes on the same plate. I wish someone could make them understand!
Perhaps I should visit Canada!!

Blogger Unknown said...

Panne Rizo is the best!!!!! I'm from the east coast of Canada and next week I am moving to Vancouver and cannot wait to have a sandwich from Panne Rizo! I also stumbled upon this little piece of heaven on my first trip to Vancouver and have not stopped talking about it since!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my favourite gluten-free bakery in the city!

Post a Comment

<< Home

©2007-2018 Gluten-Free Fun
footer