counter on blogger
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Gluten-Free Travel: Cafe Flora (Seattle, WA)
In September, I took my first vacation to the Pacific Northwest. I wanted to far away from NYC and to a place I had never been before. I decided on a week in Seattle, WA and Vancouver, BC. As with all of my vacations, I did my research on gluten-free restaurants and stores in the cities I was vising before I left. I had high hopes for Seattle, but was slightly disappointed with the gluten-free places I visited. I was also slightly disappointed with Seattle in general, but that is another story.

My first gluten-free stop in Seattle was dinner at Cafe Flora with my cousin Emily and her boyfriend Chris. They are both vegan and I am gluten-free (obv) so Cafe Flora seemed like the perfect choice.

GF Seattle mosaic 1


We started our meal with yam fries, which were gone before I even got to take a picture. For an entree, I had Oaxaca tacos. These were interesting and not really what I was expecting. I knew there were potatoes in the tacos, but I guess I didn't realize it was literally just a rolled taco with potato and not much more. The menu said "Roasted corn tortillas filled with mashed potatoes, Cheddar & smoky Mozzarella cheeses with lime creme fraiche, Cotija cheese, black bean stew, pico de gallo and wilted greens." The tacos weren't bad at all, but I just expected a bit more flavor.

Emily had a vegan black bean burger which was "Chipotle black bean burger with cayenne aioli and pineapple relish on a soft potato bun with wild greens." Chris had a vegan heirloom tomato pizza which consisted of "roasted garlic pesto, local sweet corn, tofu "ricotta", and Billy’s farm heirloom tomatoes tossed with fresh dill & basil." Both Emily and Chris seemed to enjoy their meals, but I think they had similar feelings that I did. We all wanted a bit more flavor.

Dessert is what brought smiles to the table. I had a delicious chocolate tartlet with chocolate “creme” filling and raspberry sauce. This was both vegan and gluten free and looked especially pretty on my plate. Emily and Chris shared vegan raspberry layer cake with limoncello, vanilla bean frosting, and raspberry anglaise.

Although it wasn't the best meal ever, but it was definitely a great welcome to Seattle, WA that both a gluten-free diner and two vegans could enjoy.

Outside the Mediterranean Inn


Cafe Flora
www.cafeflora.com
2901 E Madison St
Seattle, WA 98112
(206) 325-9100

Labels: , , ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

©2007-2018 Gluten-Free Fun
footer